Skip to main content

International Couple's International Travel


We will start the review of my vacation with strictly the travel to and from US and China, because that is a short in itself. So, many may call me cruel for planning Daniels first trip outside of china and first time on a plane as a 40 hour travel over 3 flights and 3 immigration points, but honestly I am just cheap. Lesson learned.
Our trip started from Hong Kong at 6am, but the taxis and borders don’t start that early. So really our trip had to start the night before. On my last trips out of Hong Kong I always have to go sleep at the airport overnight to catch an early flight. But for some reason, this time we get to the ticket counter about 9 pm (after a long battle with Daniel to wait later to go to the airport, I lost) and there is no one there! I finally found someone to tell me the ticket counter would open at 5:30 am. They were on moved by the fact that I would only have 30mins before my flight left and I couldn’t get into the airport without a boarding pass. So we would sleep there in the airport check-in line. The lights were on full blast and the high ceilings were pretty but echoed every foot step and stupid airport security announcement that played on a 20 min loop. I had no problem sprawling out across the tile floor but Daniel forbid me saying, “too dirty” so we finally stole 3 chairs when a couple got up to use the bathroom, score. This is when Daniel decided that we should take turns, “keeping watch.” I don’t know what we were watching, but whenever it was my turn to keep watch he couldn’t sleep, so I just went back to sleep. Luckily, against my advice Daniel had packed us snacks and we were somehow able to get checked in, through security, through customs check and on to our first flight to Shanghai. The only hiccup was that the airlines wouldn’t give me my boarding flight for the next flight to JFK or check my bags through to DC because we would have to go through customs again there. But no problem we had a 2 hour layover anyway.

However, I somehow forgot how awful JKF airport is. We get to the immigration line and it is packed with people. I go through the American line and wait for our luggage, then go to the bathroom, get a drink, and Daniel is still in the visitor’s line! After an hour I finally see Daniel ask a guard and move to the front of the line. By the time we get to the transfer counter the guy refuses to take our bags bc our plane leaves in less than an hour. So he gives us so crap that we have to go OUTSIDE the airport, take a bus to the entrance and go through check in and security on our own bc we may miss our flight. I reply with a smartalic jab that we would be less likely to miss our flight if they would just take my dang bag and let me go through the transfer line, right? Anyway, Daniel asks me what’s going on and I am frustrated so I snap back a quick string of words that he can’t catch and when he “Huh?”s me I just say, “We are late, RUN!”  And we literally run through the parking lot, catch the shuttle, cut the line at the check it, cut the line in security and sprint to the gate. I check the board to see the flight has been delayed an hour! So I loudly let out a, “praise Jesus!” and go telling Daniel, “We would have missed our flight, but God delayed the plane just for us! Ready I think that’s the reason it was delayed. It should have already been gone…” and I go on and on. Until I see the angry stairs of the people in the waiting room who were not as happy the flight was delayed. So then we sit there quietly as they announce the flight is delayed another hour and another and another. And the people continue their accusing stares at me, even though I only said I wanted the FIRST delay. I guess I need to be more specific with my prayers.

So that was all on Saturday, our Saturday was 36hours literally… think about it!

So after one day in DC we decide it is time to fly down to Florida, since Daniel hadn’t spent enough time flying the past few days. And oh by the way, Daniel is not a relaxed flyer. He is really sensitive to machine humming that I don’t even hear. Like how he secretly tries to turns off my refrigerator and AC whenever he is in my apartment, bc he doesn’t like the noise. We live in China the land of a billion screaming people, constant construction, and crying little emperors but whatever sorry my frig is too loud! So, on the plane he is gripping the arm rest the whole time and “keeping watch”. In this case it meant waking me up to ask what the new noise he heard was. To which I kindly answered, “the plane” and went back to bed.

In the DC airport they have a weird gate system where like 10 planes share one gate number, but there is an upstairs and downstairs with 3 exits all marked the same gate. There you take a bus to your plane. Apparently there was a big storm in NY, but who cares we were going to Florida right? But somehow this delayed our flight even though the board said on time, none of the gate monitors had our flight listed and an hour after our plane was suposta take off the airline lady seemed really annoyed that I asked if I had somehow missed the something, meaning where the heck is my plane lady! But this is when we realized Daniel does not speak airport! We could sit there and see the staff making announcements over the intercom and every time Daniel would ask me to translate English to English. I thought it was hilarious how differently he heard the message! He didn’t think it was so fun. I just loved hearing the American accents. Here was a flight to Boston and the guy had such a heavy accent you just had to giggle. When we finally got on to the plane the pilot said he had been sitting there on the plane for over an hour while the DC people just couldn’t get their act together, direct quote. This was, oh by the way, the most rinky-dink plane I’ve ever seen. And we counted on the bus there; we had 10 people traveling on the plane with us, a big change from our last plane with 500 people! So the little plane didn’t have over head bins and you had to leave your bags to be put under the plane. So then we get to Florida and they have the cover ramp thing to the gate, you know like normal airports. But I get out to the gate and realize I forgot to wait for my bag so I run back to the plane. Well a few minutes later I hear Daniel talking to the flight attendant trying to follow after me, so this security starts yelling at him, “NO! You’re not listening, step back!” so I run back grab Daniel’s hand and tell the security guard. “Don’t yell at him, this is his first time in America and I’m tryna make a good impression!” and drag him back down the ramp to the plane. Daniel just looks at me with these sad eyes and says softly, “You left me.”  Not a very good start, but oh its gets better.
So once we get to Florida it is time for my first trip driving a rental car. Daniel was very skeptical about my driving ability since only rich people drive in China and he had never ridden with me. It was a 2 hour drive to my granny in Alabama and it was already getting dark so I was excited about the 80mph speed limit! I reach lovingly for Daniels hand and he quickly places my hand back on the wheel, "no no hold tight!" I start asking him questions to which he replies quickly yes or no adding the advise, "slowly slowly, don't drive too quickly" I of coarse smile and ignore this advise, until I finally see his distress and he blurts out, "ok, no talking until we are outside the car, you drive carefully!" Now I see why Chinese don't road trip.
After a few days with granny we head back to Florida to see my grandma and plan to fly out from there at 6pm Friday night. Grandma insists she take us out for seafood before we leave. My little cousin overhears and begs us to take him too which means we will push our outing to a dinner rather than lunch we had planned earlier. Well once he gets home from school he tries to sell us on the idea of Chinese food. Niceville has some of the best shrimp in America, caught fresh daily! I live in China I can get Chinese food anytime I want and so can he, without me. I finally win this discussion but realize its almost 4 pm so we should hurry. well one thing leads to another and we are somehow moving at a snail’s pace my grandma convinces us the airport is only 15 minutes away and it is small so we don't need long to check in since there its only one gate. So I relax and forget about the time.
The restaurant has one waitress and the place is filling up but she passes us over each time she comes to take our order BC my cousin dosent see Chinese food on the menu and is unable to think of anything else. Anyway we say our goodbyes from there and head to the Airport... Its 530! Our plane leaves at 6! Daniel was scared of my regular driving so you can imagine how he responds to my hurried driving. I hand him my phone and ask him to call my dad, impatient I grab the phone back a do it myself. I tell him the situation and ask for advice. He says don't waste time filling up the rental car with has, send Daniel to check in alone, tell the rental place to charge the card and meet Daniel at security it’s still gonna be close but we could still make it.
I rattle of the plan to Daniel who stairs at me blankly. We get to the entrance and I hand him my passport and tell him to go check in. "how?" "go to the counter, hand them our passports and tell them to stop the plane!" "Ummm, what? Maybe you do that part, I stay with you" I scream in frustration and driver off thinking of a plane B. So I park the car and literally run inside. I stop at the rental car place and tell him to go ahead to the check in and tell them we are here. I throw the keys on the counter and say, "I'm late. Is parked outside, do what you have to" and head after Daniel. He is in the security line holding his shoes in one hand and passport in the other talking to the officer. I don't have time to ask, I just run passed calling for him to follow. We get to the check in counter panting out of breath, Daniel still holding shoes... The place is empty. We had done all this in a recording breaking 15 minutes but it was still too late. I left Daniel there and walked around looking pitiful until I found a guard to tell me the check in staff is also the boarding staff and they would be back after they finished take off. With this news I finally went back to Daniel defeated and announced, "We missed it; put your dang shoes back on."
Now we had plenty of time to discuss who was to blame. I started off with my best attempt asst an apology, "I should have known we would be late. I shouldn't have refused my grandmas invitation to dinner. I can't believe she wanted to go so late." Daniel replied sharply, "in China we never blame to old!" I rolled my eyes and a few minutes later he added," I guys it is partly my fault too. I always rush you, I should have kept my phone on the table and hurried you, sorry." This is not a lesson I wanted him to learn. But I think I fell in love a little more, what other guy makes up a reason to apologize?
I sweet talk the guy into putting us a flight the next morning. We would have a layover in North Carolina and at 5am. We thought about getting a hotel odd just sleeping in the airport again! But finally I decided to get my rental car back so I could avoid the gas fee and go back to my grandmas. When I called to tell her we missed our flight and ask if we could spend another night. She said, "hum how did that happen?"
Lesson learns 2 am Daniel Wales me up and starts pushing me to leave. We had said our goodbyes the night before and told my grandma but to worry about getting up to see us off. But as a good


Southern host, she was up as soon as we were on our way out the door. When she insisted that we stay for her to cook us breakfast I could see the panic in Daniels eyes. So we settled on fruit and muffins, those of you that have met my grandma know how hard she is to say no to. We still got there before the airport was open and got back with little excitement. However, we learned when we got back that my mom was literally worried sick about us the whole time.

So fast forward to Valentine’s day when we head back to China. I had another adventure schedule for us outings back in Shenzhen 3 days later after a 14 hour layover in Shanghai. At this pointy my family has no faith in my traveling ability took me to the airport and parked to go in with me to check in and sit and visit until it was almost time to board. They even stayed waving and taking pictures until we forwarded security. I get to the gate and realize our flight is delayed, we had a quick connection in JFK and I knew this would make it impossible. So I go straight to the counter to see what we can do. Daniel immediately starts pushing nee to call my dad but neither of us have a phone and I won't have anything to tell him until we see if we can catch another flight. After some sweet talking we are able to get a flight on air Canada to Toronto and then straight to Hong Kong, but not until tomorrow. All and all that's still an upgrade. But we added stuck at the airport and I finally admit that I don't know my dad’s cell phone number. I rummage through my purse and find 2 quarters. I really did feel like a prisoner with one phone call, should I try the house and hope they are there or do I try my sister at work? I finally call Amy and she find this a great opportunity to tease me and starts giving me the house number that I of course have memorized, then finally the cell number. Being out of quarters I ask get to call and give the number for them to call me back on the pay phone. A few minutes later the phone rings and gives me an error message when I answer. So at these county I am staying to get frustrated I explain to Daniel that I can't call and I don't know if that was my dad or sister calling or what we should do. At these point he decides to lecture me on how irresponsible it is not to have all under important numbers memorized our written in a bore book that yuk keep with you. I lost it and break down in a sloppy sobbing mess and squeak out that I was the one that sweet talked us into an upgrade and staged the flights and what would he have done without me! He then leaves for a minute while I pull myself together and comes back with quarters he exchanged for his $2bill souvenir. And tells me call my dad and ask him to pick us up at the metro.

My Mom was such a mess when we missed our flight in Florida I thought she would be a complete wreck when they picked us up. However she was ecstatic to have another day with has and talked the whole way home with I've breath telling us all the ways she planned to spend our last day. I want ready to look on the Brightside, I wanted a nap. I had planned to sleep on the plane. Not fight with my boyfriend, haul my bags across DC and fight the metro. After awhile we realized this really was an upgrade. Canada Air is wonderful; comfy seats, nice flight attendance and most of all individual TV screens! We even had an empty seat next to us on the 14 hour flight, So I took up all 3 seats. Awesome. However, Daniel realized his cell phone was missing in the Toronto airport and is convinced someone stole it. I laughed because what would they need with a Chinese cell phone that oh by the way, only cost 300 kuai ($50) 4 years ago. But I should have known our luck would run out soon.

When we get to Hong Kong airport we are both delirious, as wonderful as the free movies are, they kept me from sleeping and I was out of it, to say the least. We go through immigration into Hong Kong and then have to take a bus to the metro and then the metro to the Shenzhen border. I fell asleep on the bus ride and was completely worthless once it was time to switch to the metro; me and Daniel decided to just share a cab to my apartment and crash instead of worrying about the additional hour and a half to get to his apartment. We have been in and out of immigration no jokes 7 times on our trip so far and still had 2 more check points to go through. It is always a pain bc me and Daniel have to go through separate lanes for foreigners and locals. But every time we waited for each other on the other side of the check point. I usually get done way before him bc there are always millions of Chinese, so I go to his side to wait for him. So we get to the checkpoint to leave Hong Kong and I say, “I’ll wait for you on the other side.” And he grunts at me and we walk off like zombies. I luck out and there are literally 5 foreigners in line. So I finish in 5 mins and try to figure out when the Chinese line drops people into the no man’s land between Hong Kong and mainland china check points. So I see a flood of Chinese rushing by and illegally stand in the center of the flood looking for Daniel. So I wait and wait and wait. And I keep thinking I see him but it is just a blur of Chinese. So I figure I am the only foreigner for miles so he will see me. But after about an hour and I am starting to get worried so I walk around to see if there is another exit for the Chinese people or if he could possibly be waiting another place near the line. But nothing. I can see that there is a line of Chinese waiting to enter the room, so the line goes all the way into another room out of sight and who knows how many people are waiting. So I decide I’ll wait a little longer. I keep thinking that I am exhausted and I just want to go and meet him at the apartment later, but if he is still in that line he is just as tired. Plus he doesn’t have a phone for me to call him and I KNOW he wouldn’t leave me if it was reversed. And there is no way he could have walked by without seeing me. So I wait and wait. I see a foreign guy come and wait near me and after awhile his Chinese girlfriend comes through the line and they leave together. So I turn to someone that just came through the line and try to ask how long they waited in line for. But they don’t speak any English, so I try again with their elementary age boys, still no luck. I start to tear up in frustration. Someone finally overhears and asks if they can help me and I ask how long the line usually takes and she says up to an hour… I had been there for 3. Our plan landed at 3pm and it was now 7. So I give up and decided we are back in China, Daniel should be about to find his way home.

As I start walking toward the checkpoint to enter China, my phone rings. I guess where I was standing waiting was just beyond the China Mobile signal. It was Daniel calling in a frantic fit. He tells me he is at my school and where was I. “I am waiting for you at the Hong Kong checkpoint like I said I would! The same place I have been waiting for the past 3 hours!” “I waited for you at the China checkpoint, why didn’t you come?” I stopped walking in the middle of the passage way with a sea of people around me and started crying. “I was going to leave, but I thought you much be here bc you wouldn’t leave without me!”  “I’m sorry, Just come home and I will take you to dinner”

I find out that Daniel had thought I meant to wait on the other side of the 2nd immigration checkpoint inside mainland China. So he had spent an hour there freaking out. He didn’t have a phone and didn’t have my number memorized. The only number he had written down with him was from my dad’s business card. So he begged a shop keeper at the border to let him call America to ask for my phone number. However this was the middle of the night in America, so the next day my dad gets a message that says, “Hello, Mr. Phillips, this is Daniel… Hello?” This cost him $20. He then decided to try and see if I had gone back to my school and luckily my coworkers where in the office for some reason on a Saturday night. And they gave him my cell phone number and let him use the office phone. He had been calling for about an hour, but couldn’t get through bc I was still in the Hong Kong cell phone area. If I hadn’t come back to the school soon, he was going to go back to his apartment to see if I was looking for him there. He had even stated he was going to call the police if he didn’t reach me soon. What were the police going to do? What did he think was going to happen to me? I have been in China for 3 years, I have crossed the border 100 times.

Anyway, when my cab pulls up he runs out of the guard station and grabs my bag for me then says, “Why did you wait so long?” I wanted to punch him, I was waiting for Him That’s where we were suposta meet! Every time we did immigration checks I waited for him right outside his line! We were both much better after eating and getting some sleep. It wasn’t until the next day that we were able to laugh about it and put the whole story together. If all these obstacles in the travel were to test our relationship, I guess we passed. I am glad we can laugh about it now, but at the time… not so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.