Skip to main content

China Rage!

Today was quite possible the worst day of my life. I am dieing without internet! The group of teachers are emailing events back and forth and then I will get a text 5 mins before the meeting saying “Hey are you coming to dinner?” No! I didn’t get the memo! Then it’s “oh just take the 334 to the k115 to SeaWorld, they will know what you mean if you say Sea World, it’s a huge fancy area.” Well how about I just cry in my room alone because that was actually happens.
So I text my contact teacher and say I am going to SeaWorld and just wanted to double check my directions.
And she texts back “this is not possible.”
Thanks for clearing that up, do you know the best way to get there?
“22”
I hate texting! 22 from where? Which direction? How long dose it take? Is there a McDonalds? These are the answers I was looking for. So I walk down to the bus stop and see if maybe there are signs or something. Oh there are signs alright, in all Chinese characters, none of which include the 4 characters I learned. So I figure I will just ask the bus attendant when I get on. So I get on the bus and sit down when I realize there is not attendant to pay and everyone else used the front door and paid the driver. So I sit there contemplating when is the best time to stand up and risk my life walking up to the front of the bus as he speeds through pot holes and over curbs. I see him look at me in the mirror and figure I better go now before he kicks me out. So luckily we are at a red light and I run put the money in the box and say “to SeaWorld” He looks at me like I am crazy and says something I don’t understand. So I stand there looking pitiful for a while and then say “Ok, I’ll figure it out. xie xie!” and scurry back to my seat. I see some water and the driver pulls off into this construction area and turns around and yells something at me. So I figure he must have understood me and this must be the way to SeaWorld! So I say thank you and get off. This is not SeaWorld. It is smelly and dirty and deserted. I look around for someone to follow and the only other lady in sight is carrying fish guts in a bag on her back and wearing knee high boat shoes. This can’t be a good sign! So after what seems like years I wend my way back to the street and the previous bus stop, now going the opposite direction. So I pretend to study the signs that I can’t read and after chickening out a 3 times , I get the courage to ask these 2 young girls in my best Chinese. “SeaWorld, this way? Take 22?” they understood the 22 part and pointed to the sign I didn’t understand. Then they discuss with each other for a minute and say, in their collaborative English, “ not this 22 that one(pointing across the street).” Which is the bus I had just gotten off. So I truck back across the busy street, another death defying experience. And I remember from my previous bus trips that only the buses with AC have a attendant to take your money, otherwise I don’t think you can get change for the driver bc well he is driving. And I had just used all my change for the first trip to the fish guts lady. So I decide to wait for the AC bus for what seemed like forever. I saw plenty of 22 buses all with no AC so I finally gave up figuring it was an hour after everyone was suposta meet for dinner and they were probably all gone. So I start walking back retracing the bus’ path. Half way back to my apartment I find a KFC and get a little teary eyed thinking about getting my potato fix. So its crazy busy and I become a tourist attraction getting looked up and down every where I look and I kick myself for confirming the stereotype of the fat American in the KFC. At least the waitress answered me in pigeon English. So unlike America the seats are super small and the tables are literally on top of each other. So I rub up against a million people and end up sitting practically on top of 4 girls studying together. I wonder if these maybe my students, after a few minutes they switch to their English homework and my ears perk up! It is so good to hear English again! But after a few sentences they look at me and giggle apparently nervous to speak English in front of me and decided to pack up and move on. Maybe bc I was the creepy lady smiling while ease dropping on them. Normally I wouldn’t think twice about it but Today it was salt in an open wound. I took a bite of my mashed potatoes and almost spit them back out! No salt! No butter! No milk! What was this! I might have cried a little in my inedible potatoes. I had to hold the tears back all the way back to the apartment aware of the stares from everyone I passed with the echo of “wai ren or foreigner.” I got inside my burning hot apartment and let the tears out. I ran and sat on my bed and “boom!” that’s right as if this day couldn’t get any worse the bed frame broke. I might have yelled a few profanities comforted that no one who heard would know what I was saying. I threw my clothes soaking wet with sweat in the washer and decide I am never changing out of my PJs again. The icing on the cake, my clothes come out with a mysterious blue ink stain across the chest and back. FML

Comments

  1. Angel of God, my guardan dear, for whom God'slove protects me here, Forever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule, to guide. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds like a rough day!!! I'm really sorry just keep your head up things will get better in time! I will pray that will start looking up for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, well, with the worst day behind you, you can look forward to everything else from this point forward! :) I know, sunny optimism is annoying when all you want to do is be mad, but look at the bright side: Now when anything else goes wrong, you can remember that day and it will smack some perspective into you! lol.

    So, it's Sept. 3rd now, how was that 1st day of class??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.