Skip to main content

Lazy Bones

The Hostel we stayed at, Lazy Bones, was awesome! It made me want to change my career path and work there forever. It was exactly how I imagine I would have things set up. It had a very hip bohemian feel; there where book shelves over flowing with a simple sign that said, ”Not for sale, book swap only.” There was also a box of items left behind by travels free for anyone who could use them. The owner is a young girl that runs the front desk and handles the money. Then the rest of the staff is all recent college graduates. They clients are mostly foreigners and everyone spoke beautiful English. There was a big living room that the guest and staff could hang out in, use the internet, play pool, watch movies on the big screen and order food or drinks from the bar. The tables where decorated by postcards from previous guests and drawings of everyone’s home town; which gave it a homey feel. They also offered tour packages like most hotels in China, but these were all for low budget. I feel the hostel gave up most of the standard markup most hotels receive from the travel companies.

Our second day there we took advantage of what the hostel advertised as “the free walking tour of the countryside.” This turned out to be climbing a great wall. To clarify this is A great wall not THE great wall in Beijing. They are not connected but have the same name; at least the English Translations are the same. It even looks the same with dark grey stones and lookout tower, except that this wall leads to a monastery; Very tricky. It didn’t seem nearly as painful as the great wall was in the melting August summer sun, but now we faced the complete opposite nuisance of icy wind and snow flurries! The boys sped threw the stairs fast enough to have time to eat the steamy corn on the cob from one of the many street venders leading up to the temple. A couple from the Lazy Bones staff acted as our tour guides and bought us all incense to place at temple. They told us that most temples have the 4 versions of Buddha, north, south, east and west. They laughed as we explained that west Buddha was our favorite because he looks like a badass rock star with his sitar and power stance. I was taken back when I entered the upper temple and noticed the swastika symbol all over the temple. Roz explained that it is a Chinese symbol like the ying-yang meaning equality. Hitler took the symbol and reversed it to create the swastika.

The hand rails around the temple were covered in small red ribbons. People would purchase the ribbon and write a prayer or wish on them they tie it on the railing. Roz and I bought one and wrote a prayer for understanding and respect between our two countries and two religions. I was brought to tears as we held hands just outside the Buddhist temple and prayed to our God. Thanking him for the opportunity to experience another culture and asked his blessings on the people of Chengdu. It was so powerful to feel God even in a Buddhist Temple on the other side of the earth. I respect the beliefs of the Buddhist and admire their devotions. I truly felt that it was a peaceful holy place, but it was my God that I felt even at the feet of a golden Buddha.

A little less serious and respectful, we found a path back down the mountain that led us to the remains of 12 Buddha statues. We saw a Chinese group climb up pose for a picture with peace signs around the stone statues. We had to join the fun and positions our faces and arms to replace the missing pieces of the Buddha statues. I rationalized that it was ok because the Chinese people did it first, and others that walked by laughed and took our picture as well. I often feel there are no rules in China. Usually I bask in the freedom, but sometimes I am taken back by it. Inside the temple I saw professional photographers taking pictures of people praying, or worse people in a prayer pose. This was very odd to me. Why would you take pictures of someone worshiping or pretend to worship for a picture? Oh and of coarse then charge something ridiculous for the shot I am sure.

The best part of our day trip was the shopping! There were venders along the trail and even a man making animals out of bamboo leaves! The snakes were the most impressive and I couldn’t pass it up. Near the wall was a village full or cute stores, all ridiculously inexpensive. I bought everything. I needed it! We met a couple from the hostel that had met a few years ago traveling and were on vacation from teaching English at a Chinese University. They warned that it’s amazing how much stuff you collect over a year of teaching and that you have to learn to be more selective. I didn’t listen!

I told them their love story sounded like something from the movies! Will is American and Rosalinda is Irish. They both quit their successful career jobs to travel the world and met in Italy. They were both traveling alone so they decided to keep each other company and ended up falling in love. Now they are living together and teaching together in China! It just worked out that they were both at the same place in their lives and looking for a change and found each other. Unrelated, but they said the university they teach at advertises they want teachers with graduate degree but in reality many of the foreign English teachers are just out of Undergrad. You really just need your TEFL certificate and 2 years experience. This is very good news for me, because I have often thought about becoming an Economics professor. Teaching at a Chinese University would certainly be a step in the right direction.

My other favorite guest from the hostel turned out to be our 6th roommate! I was really nervous about me and my 4 American friends sharing a hostel with some random person that was going to murder me in my sleep but the boys promised to protect me! We really lucked out getting placed with Aden. He was a Chinese guy from somewhere not too far from Chengdu. He was going to grad school in Savannah Georgia and was back in China to get his paper work for next semester set up through the American Embassy nearby. He was about our age and was used to American culture and college lifestyle, which is a lot like our teaching group when we get together. We even ended up going out to bars with him and one of the guys on staff at the hostel. It’s amazing I had the most fun on the whole trip when we were playing drinking games at the bar with our 2 new Chinese friends! I could have saved a lot of money and stayed in Shenzhen!

Our other Chinese friend was Kaye. He had been working at the hostel about a year and instantly clicked with our group. I would sit outside with Roz while she had a cigarette and he just came up and sat with us one day and exchanged life stories. He was a Chengdu local and told us how the city was growing with so many people that it was hard to find a good job. More and more people are going to college so they all graduate wanting to go right into their career field and there just aren’t enough professional positions available for all the graduates. It’s like the US where the undergraduate degree is now almost a given and you have to get a graduate degree to stand out. The difference is that there is so much pressure on the children to make enough money to take care of their parents, especially with the one-child policy and even more so for the boys. There really is still a major preference for male children in China. That is surprising to me because the job market seems very equal. This generation many women hold senior positions. Roz’s head master is a woman and she is the most successful in Shenzhen.

One thing that was different about Chengdu was that at the bar me and Roz would smile at the Chinese guys who came up to cheers us and “welcome us to China!” But they ended up only talking to the guys! No one would talk to us directly. I don’t know if that’s a cultural thing that you don’t talk directly to the girls or if our guys where just such social butterflies that they stole our potential men! In Shenzhen I am used to getting all the attention but we found out after we left that Chengdu is the gay capital of China. It’s very hard to tell in China because the men are very affectionate. It is perfectly acceptable for guys to walk with their arms around each other or squeeze together into one metro seat. In general Chinese men spend a lot of time on their appearance and wear the skinny jean fashion. The guys at the hair saloons are the worst because they take every free moment to keep their hair longer and big. The funny part is that being openly gay in China is unheard of. It is extremely taboo and not well accepted. Many Chinese people have told me they don’t have gays in China, yet I have been to gay bars. One of the many mysteries of China.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.