Skip to main content

China for Life!

SO I am officially staying in China for another year. I was shocked when my worthless contact teacher texted me saying she and the school would be happy to have me teach at their school another year. And even more excited when my program said they wanted me back to teach another year. Even though they wouldn't tell me this until almost a month after my school offered me a position. So I went crazy worrying about what this meant, all for nothing.

My original thought was that I should just stay in my current school. I know the area, I won’t have to move my stuff, and I have teacher friends there. However, Betty (worthless contact teacher) told me they intend to have 2 foreign teachers at my school next year so I would have a roommate in my small apartment.

This wouldn't be so bad, except I have gotten used to having the place to myself and I have used every inch of this apartment to hold my ridiculous amount of crap I have accumulated. Plus, more than you want to know, but, it is so hot in China that as soon as I hit the room, I have to start stripping! Your body is just soaking wet from sweat and the hot air here is literally damp. But I can't do that with a roommate! And the kitchen is so so small and the bathroom is a joke. Having a roommate would just complicate my lax lifestyle I have grown accustom to.

As my last week of teaching flies by, I am shocked at how hard it is to say “goodbye” to my students. Even the really annoying ones look at me with those sad eyes. And I never know how to answer the “You are not leaving forever, right?” question. How do you explain in simple English that yes, I am coming back. But I do not know which school I will be teaching at until August. Which by the way, even I thinks is crap. How can they not know how many teachers will be at my school. They have already hired all the foreign teachers, why can't they just tell me so I can leave my stuff?

I went to teach today and they said, “oh, today is exams. You go have a rest!” Usually this would be exciting but now I am like umm no I have to do grades and say goodbye! So I somehow got myself into making up the classes together in an auditorium with 120+ students. What was I thinking? I should have just said all As for everyone! I can't even get 60 kids to shut up or pay attention, what am I going to do with 120! Oh China!

I decided walking home yesterday, that next year I am going to get some singing gigs! When we were doing dreams with my students I told them my dream is to be a singer and that you should never give up on your dreams. So of course, that is the one time they listen to me, and now they keep bugging me to sing more. I told one of my Chinese friends I had thought about trying out for American Idol but you have to be Beautiful to be on a TV show. And they said but you are sooo beautiful in China. And it hit me! Right or wrong I need to take advantage of that! I walked by an outdoor bar near my home and there was a guy singing English songs and I thought, I am way better than him! So as soon as I get my school assignment I am getting business cards that say English teacher/ singer! Watch out lady gaga!

Also I have come up with a new Chinese name for myself. This time it is so perfect that I am not going to ask for my Chinese friends' opinions. I am just going to start using it. The Chinese word for smile is xiao (she-out) and names are 2 characters so I wanted to be something -di like chris-ty sounds the same kinda. So my new name is xiao di meaning smiles and pronounced like “shorty” only more gangsta! So me! Much better then li si pronounced lisa meaning jasmine silk. BORING!

Humm... I am reading this and realizing it may not make much sense in the US. I am honestly nervous about going back and fitting into American society again. For example here are the top 10 things I do daily in China that would get me in trouble in America.

10) Throw seeds or trash on the ground as I am walking down the road, right past several trashcans

9) Hand my empty bottles to old people

8) Talk about people right in front of them assuming they don’t speak English

7) Throw the merchandise at the vender and say, “too expensive!” then walk away mean mugging

6) Drink beer while walking down the street

5) Bring my own drink into a restaurant

4) Stare, point and yell, “white person!” whenever I see another foreigner

3) Leave my trash and tray on the table at McDonald’s

2) Say “wo ting bu dong”(i don’t understand) anytime I don’t feel like listening or I don’t like what they are telling me to do.

1) End every conversation with, “ok, bye-bye!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.