Skip to main content

Magic Moments

My church in Shekou started a concert series for the Christmas season. They will have 4 concerts around Shenzhen and I was asked to be a part of the prayer team. They said that outside the church the services will be concerts but having a prayer team will insure that they are Christ-driven and become a worship service. We were asked to pray for the upcoming event during the week and arrive an hour early to pray during the rehearsal and set up. We walked through each chair and prayed that God would fill that seat and bless the person that would sit there. After the service we were to come forward and pray with anyone who came up for an alter call.

I realized that I am not very good at this. My friend said how can you be bad at praying? Is there bad or good? I had trouble focusing; my mind goes wild in silence. When people came up to me to pray for them I couldn’t find the right words and stuttered and stammered all over myself. Also many of the people that wanted me to pray for them were Chinese, so I grabbed a friend to translate my prayer. This was even worse because I felt so much pressure that the translator would judge my words and realize they could say a more powerful prayer on their own. But I had a few moments of wisdom I thought were worth sharing.

First as I was praying for myself, that I would remain focused and in the right mind set (fighting my grumpy mood from a bad day), it came to me that; there are no perfect people but working together for God we can become perfect. I have had a lot of grudges against some people in my bible study group, because I don’t agree with certain things they have done or I have been hurt by things they have said. My first reaction is to stop going, but I know I will be the one hurt by that, not them. I will be the one missing out on the group and they will be unaffected. It is easy to think everything would be perfect if people acted and thought like me. But that is not possible. I have been given a few blows to my ego lately that remind me, I am far from perfect. I need to start with some humility and then focus on aligning my purpose with others, so that God will make our work for him perfect.

Another moment was during the music into. The leader said, “This is our drummer boy David and he is going to play his best for him.” I don’t know why those simple words brought me to tears. The song, of course, was little drummer boy. It was the idea that he was offering his talent to glorify God, just like the story in the song. It became so real. For David it wasn’t much, I’m sure. He has led our music many times, but under the stoplight I saw his passion. He poured his whole body into every drum beat, with his eyes closed for focus.

The Christmas stories the band told were translated into Chinese. It was interesting to hear the words in English and then feel the emphasis as they were retold in Chinese. Chinese is such a powerful language with the tones, it has such a purposeful canter that only passionate English speakers achieve. The 2 pieces of the Christmas story they told were the Christian origins of Saint Nicholas. Tying Santa’s gifts to the gifts given to Jesus by the 3 wise men. His main statement was, “I tell my children Santa is real! Because he IS!” What a neat twist on a story that has almost lost its Christian origins in secular Christmas traditions.

The next piece was about the 3 wise men. She pointed out that one of the wise men is said to have been Chinese! She names a Chinese astronomer that was missing during the time said to be around Jesus’ birth. And the length of time would have been the same length needed to travel from China to Israel. People were shocked to think of ancient ties to Christianity. Last year a Chinese guy told me, “no Chinese is foolish enough to believe in the God like you!” It broke my heart at the time, but now I just feel sorry for him. The fact that one of the wise men may have been Chinese, gives a rebuttal to his flawed statement. Even in my group of Christians, Christianity still seems like a western idea. It is important that my Chinese friends can claim it as their own.

I brought up the prayer concern at my bible study to pray for the foreigners away from their family during the holidays. Christmas is always the hardest time to be away from home for me. The woman who hosts the study told me after that one of her goals when setting up the group was to provide that family atmosphere especially for the foreign teachers - A place where we can all speak English at full-speed and have a home-cooked meal. I really am blessed to have friends here that are like a family to me. But I still miss you all!

At the work thanksgiving dinner one of the girls had her parents in town visiting China and she brought them to the dinner. One of the guys ran up to the girl’s mom and said, “I need a MAMA hug!” We all laughed but we all felt the same inside.

Comments

  1. Christy, I just pray that you would be blessed. Your blogs encourage me so much. Thank you for giving your thoughts and talents and trials to me through your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.