Skip to main content

Teacher of the Year


There are days when I find myself in situations where I think, I am the worst teacher ever. How have they not fired me yet? I will give you two examples:

A few weeks ago on a Monday night I went to the McDonalds for dinner. As I am sitting there I notice a table of my students outside. I consider saying hello until I realize it is 5 of my boys sitting around shirtless and chasing their cheese burgers with beer! I decided the polite thing to do is keep my head down and walk by like I don’t notice. But you know as soon as I came outside the shout MISS CHRISTY! HELLO! So I have to reward their English. I say hello and point to the 5 beer bottles and ask, “Was it a hard day? Why so much beer?” Mind you they are all drinking 40s out of the bottle, and most Chinese men I know get drunk off of one beer! It is a school night and they have class at 7:30 the next morning; They are 16 years old and outside less than a block from the school!

They assure me, “we are the school sports winner, and this is our reward!” My first thought is dear God please tell me the school did not give them beer. But instead being the good teacher I am, I slowly reach for a bottle and pretend to steal it saying, “for me?” to which they respond by pulling up a chair for me to join them. I laughed and assured them I was just kidding. “ok see you in class, bye-bye!” and I scurried off awkwardly. This was obviously much more shocking to me than them. Is it normal for teachers to drink with their 16 year old students? In public? Shirtless? Umm no!

On a Thursday after my classes I decided to leave early and go out to meet some friends. I don’t think I am supposed to stay in my office all day, but all the Chinese teachers do, so I feel a little guilty leaving early and coming in late. But anyway I get on the bus and 2 of my students call my name. The girls are both foreign exchange students, one from Germany and one from Lithuania, both with very good English. As foreigners we have a sort of different bond than the normal student-teacher relationship. We small talk and realize we are heading the same direction. Then one of the girls tells me she is on her way to get a tattoo, in Dongmen! We had done a tattoo lesson last month and the students told me you can get tattoos in Dongmen for 15 kuai ($3)! I responded that discount price also includes AIDS, and it wasn’t a good idea! Side note I clearly stated in my class that I was not encouraging them to get tattoos and they are less common than the movies and celebrities would make it seem.

She assured me that they had met the artist and his shop was very clean and his sketch was very impressive. I told them again to be careful. Then I looked around and asked, “are you done with classes for the day or did you leave early?” the girls look at each other and then giggle, “are we allowed to tell you we are skipping?” to which I reply “OMG I’m going to get fired, if anyone sees us skipping together!”

So somehow it came up that the girl had a new Chinese boyfriend and the mom in me went into over drive. Having heard not the greatest things about Chinese boys I tried to warn her in a friendly way of the cultural conflicts you run into. Chinese men expect the girls to be very submissive and will do anything to impress you when you are first dating and then completely change once they get what they want, or think you are hooked. They are often very serious very quickly and bring up marriage after the first date! Her response was “don’t worry, he is very western. He learned English from listening to Eminem and talks just like him!”

“Oh no, his name isn’t slim is it?”

“How do you know Slim?”

“I do not like him!”

the thought of this jerk corrupting my favorite student made me sick… and here is why:

A few months ago I was walking around Dafen, the art village, and I hear 2 guys speaking English. I turn to see a foreigner and a Chinese guy speaking in almost an American accent. I whispered the Heidi, “did you hear that, its freakin’ me out.” I always notice foreigners because they are often in my company, since there are 150 of us. The Chinese guy must have super human hearing because he turns around and says, “Who is freakin’ you out? Me or him? I’m Chinese but I speak 3 languages; Chinese, English and Nigga talk!”

Without thinking I respond, “You’re gonna get shot.”

He pulls on his saggy pants and says, “Bitch, I got a gun. You think I’m scared.”

This boy was 5 foot tall, 80 pounds looking like a 12 year old! He aint got no gun! This is China, no one has guns! The ghetto in me came out and I yell out, “Excuse you? Who do you think you’re talking to like that?” and he walks off laughing with his friend. These idiot kids repeat crap they hear in movies, but you say it to the wrong person and you’re gonna get hit. American’s don’t put up with ignorance like that. So I’m telling the story to Roz and she tells me she knows the guy, he is a high school drop out that learned English from listening to rap music and calls himself Slim. Telling the story to my students they say the same thing, “yea that sounds like Slim. But he can be nice too.”

I go off on another mama rank that you have to be careful who you spend your time with because people rub off on you. And you can’t talk like that, because you never know when you are going to say it in front of the wrong person.

But she responds, “Don’t worry, I am not dating Slim. I am dating his best friend, Dragon! He is a KFC delivery boy.”

Comments

  1. maybe he gives her free chicken! i want some... i miss u you're the best teacher ever!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Make yourself at home, but don't touch anything

Not long ago I got this text from my husband, "My sister called, she's at our house. My dad let her in." I was automatically filled with questions; Did you know she was coming? How long is she staying? Did she bring the kids? Is everything ok? His answer, "I didn't know and I don't know." As if that would satisfy my unrest! Now I like my sister in law, Meimei, she is probably my favorite of the in laws. She makes an effort to speak to me directly even though my Chinese is not good enough to keep up with the group conversation. She is kind and playful. Her 2 children are sweet to me and mostly well behaved. I enjoy her visits but cannot understand why she would show up unannounced when it takes at least 4 hours to travel here! And she is a repeat offender. The most intrusive occasion was when my daughter was less than a month old and Meimei called from the bus, announcing she and her 2 small children were on the way. I was st