Skip to main content

From the Outside looking in


There are many things about China I feel I will never understand, no matter how long I’m here or how many people I talk to. But I am thankful to be in the position to get little glimpses!

Sunday I was on the bus home for my church in Shekou to Laintang which is usually a little over an hour ride. As soon as we got closer to the center of the city traffic became a nightmare, like barely moving. A few people got up to talk to the driver and before long he opens up the doors in the middle of the road and lets them off the bus! The bus attendant runs to the front and they chat for awhile the only thing I can catch is “metro”. The whole bus seems to join in on the conversation until the bus pulls over to the curb, not at a bus stop mind you, and starts kicking people off. The attendant would ask each person “where to?” and then respond, “no, metro, go” direct translation! She didn’t ask me anything, and I didn’t know where I was so I stayed on the bus with a handful of other people.

Some of the men moved to the front of the bus, seemingly to give the driver directions. And next thing I know we are on the highway, skipping 2 districts worth or bus stops! Even with the detour the ride took FOREVER! I finally asked the attendant in my crappy Chinglish, “ummm Wo qi liantang ummmm ma?” which translates, “umm I go liantang ummm huh?” and the best part of the story is that she also answered in perfect Chinglish, “OK le!” but then I must have fooled her with my Chinese skills bc she raddled off 3 more questions in full speed Chinese and was surprised when I just smiled and gave an awkward laugh.

So 2 hours later I finally get home, and my friend txt me that she was on a bus that was stuck in an anti-Japanese protest! The Uniglo was closed, the Japanese stake house was closed, and there were extra gaurds outside the Toyota place by my house. So I look up online Shenzhen Daily, the local English paper and the site is down, I try to google search and NOTHING not ONE article would come up for Japan and China! My search had obviously been censored!

So apparently, anybody who has ever read a newspaper knows that China and Japan are fighting over “the fishing islands”. I had never read said paper. I didn’t get it. China has been boycotting Japanese products and there have been protests and riots all over China. I didn’t know. I asked Daniel and his response was, “It doesn’t matter.” So like any good teacher, I used my students for information. Oh yes with the help of Wikipedia! And this is what I found out…

The fishing island belonged to ancient day China and has been under debate, pretty much ever since. Recently the Japanese government has purchased the land on the island from the public in an effort to better control the island. And my students are not at all happy with APPLE because google maps on the new I-phone shows the island as part of Japan! Btw, in the whole discussion this one of the most heated objections! I asked why dose china care so much about one little island, china is huge and this land is so small? The answer began with cultural value but then words like oil and resources came up, which makes more sense to me. Sunday was also a special anniversary of past wars between Japan and China, again something I was suposta know but didn’t.

During the protests people will destroy anything Japanese. There are reports of people smashing Japanese made cameras, vandalizing Japanese stores or companies, and flipping Japanese brand cars! The Cars are the biggest shock because this even included CHINESE POLICE cars, here in Shenzhen. So I showed my students the pictures and asked what they thought. They seem to think it is only a few wild Chinese that are starting these protests and most people just crowd around in curiosity. And they say the protest is mostly against Japan, but also against the Chinese government. In Dongmen, one of my favorite shopping areas, police used tear gas on the protestors. I wasn’t there, but it must have been pretty out of control. For the most part the students feel the government encourages the protests, almost as a sense of Chinese pride. The government even sent out a list of Japanese items to boycott, by my students hadn’t heard of that.

The new Japanese ambassador to China, was found dead in Tokyo 3 days ago but no details have been released. This has lead to many rumors of a possible assassination. I was surprised that this didn’t get a big reaction out of my students. Few had heard the rumor, but simply replied “maybe true, maybe nothing”.

They did bring up that all Chinese hate Japan, very matter of fact. They referenced WWII, but didn’t go into any details. Even my students that I have taught for over a year would start to say something about the government, then stop and said, “I don’t want to say out loud.”  It’s interesting to me how hesitant the Chinese are to speak out against the government when I live in a country who’s government criticize its self, republic vs democrat. We have bumper stickers publicly criticizing our leaders or president. My students tell me all the time that everyone in America hates Bush! To them it seems like Americans have no pride in our country, but to us it’s the opposite. I criticize my government because I believe that I can change things for the better. I have been taught to always express a position or opinion. In China speaking against the government is speaking against yourself, they hold their tongues to show respect for their country. I see the point, but it still shocks me as a polar opposite.

On a side note, last night I was making plans to go out with friends and one of the girls said she was afraid with all the protests and things going out and would rather stay in, just to be safe. I called my Italian friend to see if she wanted to reschedule. She responded, “come on, we will be inside the restaurant and then inside the KTV, we will stay ‘IN’ it’s just as safe!”  Pina is an amazing woman, well said!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Make yourself at home, but don't touch anything

Not long ago I got this text from my husband, "My sister called, she's at our house. My dad let her in." I was automatically filled with questions; Did you know she was coming? How long is she staying? Did she bring the kids? Is everything ok? His answer, "I didn't know and I don't know." As if that would satisfy my unrest! Now I like my sister in law, Meimei, she is probably my favorite of the in laws. She makes an effort to speak to me directly even though my Chinese is not good enough to keep up with the group conversation. She is kind and playful. Her 2 children are sweet to me and mostly well behaved. I enjoy her visits but cannot understand why she would show up unannounced when it takes at least 4 hours to travel here! And she is a repeat offender. The most intrusive occasion was when my daughter was less than a month old and Meimei called from the bus, announcing she and her 2 small children were on the way. I was st