Skip to main content

Student In-mates


I wonder what the long term effect is of living and studying behind bars. This is the reality of every Chinese student in the major cities. Even in my apartment, there are bars on the doors and windows to deter thieves, but if I have to spend a full day inside I feel like a prisoner. The prison feel of the schools is a whole other level.

I have taught at four different schools now and they all have several similarities. Not only is the entire school surrounded by spiked fences with multiple guards, but each classroom and office has barred windows.  Starting in high school, the students can choose to live in the school dorms.  This is the full in-mate experience if you ask me. I lived in the school dorms for 2 years so I can say I served my time.

The students have a 2 hour lunch break and can leave school to go out to lunch or go home for the noon nap (my favorite part of China). However, students that live on campus are not allowed to leave. They are only allowed to eat the school food for all 3 meals a day, and I am told it’s pretty gross. The guards block the school gate at lunch time and check IDs before students can leave the school. There are usually 2 or more guards armed with clubs and a metal hook thing (like little Bo Peep crossed with the devil’s pitch fork). So many of your friends can leave but you are left behind.

Many of the friends will try to bring back food for their classmates but must sneak it past the guards. If they walk through the gate holding food the guards may take it, because no outside food is allowed inside. One thing I’ve seen that cracks me up and breaks my heart is that students will wait by a section of the fence away from the guards and pass food through the bars from their classmates outside. That’s so much sneaking for a few McDonalds fries! Some students by pass their classmates all together and call for delivery men to meet them at fence bend. Then during the meal breaks they will sneak down and buy their take out through the fence! My students have approached me and offered to pay me to smuggle in some food for them they can’t buy at the school canteen. It is amazing what these kids would do for a milk-tea.

The discipline is also prison-like. In line with Maoism the culture instills a strong separation between the teachers and students through many rituals. Every class will start by the students standing to greet the teacher and bowing in unison. If they enter the classroom late, they must stand at the door saluting before they are giving permission to enter. Similarly when they come to the office they must salute at the door and say, “baogao” which is a military term meaning, “to report for duty.” These all took a lot of getting used to when I first began working in the Chinese schools, and flinched every time a student moved sharply into the saluting position.

The whole school will file on to the soccer field once a day for morning exercises. The teachers stand to the side to keep guard and grade the students’ participation. Each class stands single file and repeats 8 reps of jumping jacks, stretches, and marching. Schools will even have competitions about who can do the exercises the most energetically and in unison.  Every so often each class will have to stay after school to jog together. These are more military like but aids in the sober spirit of many of the students.

Now let’s talk about the work load. If I ever ask my students what they did over the weekend of the holiday it is always the same answer, Homework. I used to think the students only new that word, or were just whining, but I realize the students really do spend all their time studying. And when they are not doing homework, the wealthy students are taking private lessons. Students in the top high schools will wake up at 6am and be in class from 7am to 9pm Monday-Friday, until their last year in High school when they will go to school on Saturdays from 7-5 as well. Most of these students will also have 4-8 hours of private lessons over the weekend. I have asked my students why they have so many books but I have never gotten a clear answer. Looking out from the teacher’s podium many students seem buried under what must be over 50 books. There is just so much information that must be covered.

 In my experience as a foreign teacher the parents are giving the students so much pressure and starting them even younger and younger. I have often been approached to give private lessons to primary students and even pre-k. I taught one 4 year old girl for a full year and I tried and failed with a group of 3 year olds. At 4 years old my student had 2 hours a week studying with me as well as a Chinese English teacher, Math teacher, Science tutor, and Piano lessons. All this on top of her Monday to Friday Preschool program in Hong Kong.  I can understand why the students are under so much pressure, but I can’t help but feel for them. In China, many parents see their children as their retirement plan. If your child gets into a good school and gets a good job, you will be well taken care of when you are older. If the children fail the parents don’t see a future for themselves. Also with so many people in China, even the well educated have a lot of competition for the few good jobs. So the standards for that golden ticket into the university and job you want are growing more and more impossible.

Because there are so many people, there are not enough schools for all the students. I have heard different stats as to the percentage but clearly many of the students do not get into high school and even fewer can get into college. Each student will take 2 major tests that can drastically change their lives: The zhongkao to get into high school and the GaoKao to get into college. In China admission is based solely upon these scores and as such, students are taught very early that the tests are all that matter. This is a problem all over the world that so much emphasis is put on the tests and the teachers are giving so much pressure to have their students pass the test. Teachers can no longer be creative and add supplemental lessons, because they must spend all the class time on the facts for the tests. Another pit fall I see in china is that the teachers only teach to the top students. Since this first major hurdle in the students’ education starts in grade 9, by middle school most students already know their ranking compared to their classmates and therefore their likely hood of entering high school. Those students that have fallen behind will give up, but legally must continue going to school. In turn the teachers will ignore these students and focus on the top percent that are likely to move on.

These students that have fallen behind are the real in-mates. If you are taught having high scores is the only thing that matters, how can a bad test-taker find any value in studying? Knowing that they are soon going to be out in the world with no skills and limited options must be terrifying for a 15-18 year old. And to be separated into a lost cause even earlier than that would be devastating. Yet these students must come and bow, salute, and sit through lessons that they are told don’t apply to them since they will never be a top student.

IMG_1065.JPGSchool fence and barred windows

IMG_1117.JPG Barred windows inside the school IMG_1127.JPG
From the hallway looking into the classroom

IMG_1129.JPG

Students view behind the stacks of books

IMG_1125.JPGSchool lunch

IMG_1116.JPGShop that sells snacks to students through the bars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Make yourself at home, but don't touch anything

Not long ago I got this text from my husband, "My sister called, she's at our house. My dad let her in." I was automatically filled with questions; Did you know she was coming? How long is she staying? Did she bring the kids? Is everything ok? His answer, "I didn't know and I don't know." As if that would satisfy my unrest! Now I like my sister in law, Meimei, she is probably my favorite of the in laws. She makes an effort to speak to me directly even though my Chinese is not good enough to keep up with the group conversation. She is kind and playful. Her 2 children are sweet to me and mostly well behaved. I enjoy her visits but cannot understand why she would show up unannounced when it takes at least 4 hours to travel here! And she is a repeat offender. The most intrusive occasion was when my daughter was less than a month old and Meimei called from the bus, announcing she and her 2 small children were on the way. I was st