Skip to main content

The China Scurry



My entire childhood I was teased for my run. Always on my tiptoes with my arms to my side, and flat hands pointed out. Almost as if I were skipping while wearing a tight mermaid-style dress. Earning me the superlative “most likely to prance” from my soccer team; mostly accredited to my blonde, valley-girl tendencies. However, I now realize the true reason for my prance. Deep down, I am a Chinese girl in my natural state of the China scurry.

The China scurry can be seen everywhere by all walks of life; the Grandma fighting for a seat on the metro, a man hurrying to catch a bus,  a mother with her baby crossing the street in front of on-coming traffic, or two excited students rushing towards something shinny.  Another unspoken rule in China seems to be that the scurry combine with linking arms with a friend can stop traffic. The thing that strikes me about the scurry is that it seems to be a lot of effort for very little progress. The arms and legs are shuffling so quickly, yet the result is mostly just a quick walk.

In America, the scurry would be comparable to our obligatory “3-pump jog,” as my friends say. Meaning when a car lets you walk in front of them you are obligated to give three steps in jogging form to show a respectful hustle. However, after the charade you can return to a normal walk. So perhaps this scurry is China’s charade for a hustle. In many other cases you see that this respect for other people’s time is not a concern for most people. I guess it is fitting that this is used mainly for pedestrians at the mercy of the driver. Except, of course, for the girls scurrying towards shinny things. That is simply an example of femininity, as it is equally fitting that all girls should be drawn to shinny things.

Comments

  1. Hilarious! I could actually picture you right in front of me acting out all the descriptions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Make yourself at home, but don't touch anything

Not long ago I got this text from my husband, "My sister called, she's at our house. My dad let her in." I was automatically filled with questions; Did you know she was coming? How long is she staying? Did she bring the kids? Is everything ok? His answer, "I didn't know and I don't know." As if that would satisfy my unrest! Now I like my sister in law, Meimei, she is probably my favorite of the in laws. She makes an effort to speak to me directly even though my Chinese is not good enough to keep up with the group conversation. She is kind and playful. Her 2 children are sweet to me and mostly well behaved. I enjoy her visits but cannot understand why she would show up unannounced when it takes at least 4 hours to travel here! And she is a repeat offender. The most intrusive occasion was when my daughter was less than a month old and Meimei called from the bus, announcing she and her 2 small children were on the way. I was st