Skip to main content

Another One Rides the Bus

Weird Al’s “Another one bites the dust” parody must have been written about China buses. I cannot imagine people in the US EVER being ok with that kind of crowds. Today on the way home from Heidi’s in the hardcore country I thought I was going to die. I literally get on the bus at the second stop on the route and there are literally no seats left. So I wrap myself around the pole near the door and hold on for dear life. Longhua is forever under construction; every time you go outside another road has been dug up and covered with bamboo. The US has orange caution cones, China has bamboo. However, in China no one is afraid of off-roading short cuts. So my huge bus decided they will detour THROUGH the construction sites! I am literally airborne on each bump. I look around and I’m deeply concerned that no one else is surprised by this; just part of china rush hour! So at each of the next stops a flood of people stampede onto the bus , ripping me from my safety pole and further down to the middle of the bus. I reach up and hold one of the hanging down handle thing. After the next bump I learn that the stupid handle is attached by a loose strap the slides along the long pole like a backyard dog leash zip line! AKA I fly into the man beside me at full force!
Lucky a few stops later I had a wall of people around me including a woman behind me with her arms wrapped completely around me and leaning forward to grab the chair in front of me. So though I had nothing to hold on to, I was sardined between the woman’s body pressing against me and the shoulder of the man I was standing over. From then on we all moved as a unit. I looked at the man and wondered if it was better to be the one standing and invading his space or the one sitting being invaded? I was pressed up against his shoulder, people where gripping his head rest for safety so he couldn’t sit back. Then the woman in front of him is holding her shopping bags in his face and resting on his knees banging against the hard plastic seat in front of him. Just then my knees lock and I start to feel like I am going to faint. I lean to shift my weight but literally cannot penetrate the wall of people around me, even a few inches to bend my knees or lean to one side. I would gladly be suffocated in a shopping bag if it meant I could sit down!
Amazingly, even though I couldn’t get an inch of wiggle room the bus attendant was able to push through the crowd to collect the bus fare at each stop. So I was facing the window and never saw the wave coming. But every so often the wall around me would push against me forcing me to simulate the self- Heimlich against the seat back and man in front of me. So we get to a large checkpoint and half of the bus stands up and pushed towards the exit. I get excited that maybe the crowds will clear out and I can have some breathing room. Then I notice the swarm of people running beside the bus as it slows down. Even before the doors open the people outside are elbowing each other to get to the front of the crowd and be the first on the bus. The mob of people is so large and rowdy that the man trying to get off the bus was unable to get off. It looked like he was crowd surfing at a rock concert. Two times he rammed his shoulder forward trying to break through and was carried back on to the bus, all this 2 feet over the crowd unable to reach the ground down from the step up on to the bus. A punch was thrown and a police officer dragged the man out of the crowd trying to get on the bus. I watched as the man got right in the officers face screaming something I couldn’t understand. The officer mouthed back but when the man yelled again the officer pointed his finger right in the man’s face and gave him the evil eye. I was freighted even from the other side of the window. The man finally walked off and I guess excepted he would have to wait for the next bus.
Another time on this same bus trip, as we were approaching this checkpoint stop the bus attendant yelled something and a swarm of people starting banging on the door to let them off in the middle of the traffic jam. We get to the stop and a Police officer gets on the bus and asks for everyone’s IDs. I start freaking out because I don’t carry my passport with me so I had no ID. He would tap someone on the shoulder every now and then and they would scurry off the bus. I tried to look pitiful hoping he would accept, “ting bu dong, I don’t understand” as proof of my Foreign status. I was shocked when he came to me and said, “Hello, Welcome to China. Do you speak Chinese?” I responded in broken Chinese, “very little.” And he asks, “Where are you from?” I slowly respond in my best Chinese, “wo shi Mei guo ren, wo shi laoshi” which is the extent of my Chinese language skills. He responds “USA? OK!” and moves on to kicking off everyone around me! I realize how lucky I am to have blond hair and blue eyes. I can’t imagine that if I were an Asian American I wouldn’t have such an easy time proving my nationality. I texted my Chinese friend immediately and asked what that was all about. He said “he was maybe look for bad people. If find someone with guns or other bad things take him to police station. Maybe look for work permit in big city. You are good girl no need to worry. Any bad thing happen bus attendant is your friend, she will take care.” This sounded like a good explanation so I allowed myself to relax. THEN the next stop I see the bad people that had just been kicked off running beside the bus and back on the bus! The same man who was sitting next to me before the checkpoint, literally came back and claimed his seat. He smiled at me as he sat down. But I was suddenly very suspicious about my seat mate. It has happened 2 times now on my weekly route and always the same people get kicked off and are waiting to get back on at the next stop. Very odd. I don’t understand but I still get nervous every time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.