Skip to main content

China has everything I could ever want... except you.


This Christmas season I did a lot more to force the Christmas spirit. During Halloween some friends and I stumbled upon our greatest discovery in China! Sunggong warehouse! All the factory leftovers from the products sent to the US. I felt like I am in Wal-Mart’s holiday section, just dirtier, cheaper and a lot more crap to sift through. We came back to this gold mine around thanksgiving and it was a CHRISTMAS EXPLOSION! I am talking a full street with trees and garland covering each store front. And 2 of the buildings had 4 floors of Christmas goodness inside, mixed, of course, with the usual baby clothes, purses, plastic ware and other randomness. I couldn’t keep my legs still. They had a 10 foot plastic tree that I could comfortably live inside! Life-size Santa figures made out of glitter and gold paint (China version). As I spent every penny in my purse on lights and a wreath, I realized my apartment was too small for a tree.

Since my classes are much smaller this year I can do a lot more activities with them. So I asked my school if I could buy a tree for my classroom and they loved the idea! A friend suggested I take my class on a field trip to the warehouse and let them pick out the decorations. But I decided if they were devil children in the classroom, I can’t imagine what they would do turned loose in society! But for a total of 300 kaui ($50 US) I bought 2 trees 40 ornaments, 2 strands of lights, and 2 star toppers! I had taught my students last year about Christmas in one 45 min class since I only saw them 2 or 4 times in a month. I see my students now 5 times a week. The tree purchase inspired my 20 lesson Christmas series, which was only met with minor opposition from my devil boys. We talked about the legend of Santa clause and the first Christmas tree. We made a Christmas chain with our Christmas wishes. We wrote Family newsletters, listened to Christmas music and even watched “How the Grinch stole Christmas.”

The best part of the lesson series was the Christmas play. My church had just done the children’s play the Sunday before, and I was talking to my friends about how cute they were. My friend who is also a teacher said he has his middle school students act out the Christmas story every year and they love it! In the US that would be a major lawsuit to teach a bible story in a public school. But the way he explained it was that he was teaching a piece of American culture. Non-Christians know the story, you see nativity scene everywhere and it is alluded to in movies and TV shows. The students need to know the story to understand the references. There are many rules against missionaries in China so I wanted to be careful not to get myself in trouble, but I thought it was a great idea I couldn’t pass up.

My first class was 10 boys, not knowing the story I assigned a role for each boy with the instruction to act out the story as it was read aloud. This was extra fun for me as I ignored the statements of, “What’s an Angel?” And “Is Mary a girl name?” So after every few lines I would stop and have the characters mentioned stand in the front of the class. I made “Mary and Joseph” hold hands when it says they were engaged to be married and then Joseph pulled his hand away when he found out she was pregnant. I had the boys playing the Angels flap their arms like wings, the Star do jazz hands as he lead the Wiseman around the room. The whole class was laughing and participating, definitely my best teaching moment thus far. Their understanding surprised me too. Both classes when I read that Mary and Joseph were told to hide in Egypt until Herod was dead, the students scurried around the room and finally pulled the window curtains around to cover them! The shy boys that don’t have the vocab to speak out in class were actually getting it! The teacher in more couldn’t help spoiling the fun with the, “See! Class can be fun if you just pay attention!”

Comments

  1. Love it!! Christy, love your posts, I pray for you and hope that you are encouraged!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.