Skip to main content

China Traffic


People ask me all the time why I love China. My answers never seems to be what is expected. It’s the little things that make me smile no matter how awful my day has been or the bad mood I am in. (and believe me there have been plenty of those days) My honest to God favorite part of my new town of lain tang is the crosswalk man. In China people are too detail oriented to be satisfied with the standard walk/ don’t walk flashing light. In lian tang the little man is animated and he tells you how fast you need to walk. The best is the strut setting. The little crosswalk light has the proud strut that I can’t see without standing a little taller. Everytime me and my friend see it we try to walk at the same pace as the light and say, “strut carefully!” Then when the traffic light is about to change the little man gets faster and faster and end in a panic furry to get across. The panic is justified! I literally almost got hit by a bus the other day. I was with my Italian friend and the little man started to run so I started to hurry across the road as well. She stopped me and said, “:in my country they have to stop for us in the crosswalk, is it the same in America?” right then we turned to see a bus coming at us at full speed and we jumped back into the place a median should be! It is

literally a game of frogger every time we cross the road. I often feel that if I have 2 or more Chinese people crossing in front of me, I can be safe using them as a human shield. I should be able to run out of the way by the time the cars run over 2 other people. Roz is convinced Chinese people have magical road crossing powers. They just walk calmly and stand on the white line in between lanes or do the China scurry. It’s not really a full run, but it’s a lot of movement without your feet ever leaving the ground. It almost gives the appearance of running but without any of the energy. It is sometimes enough to make the bus drivers wait for you to get on, but mostly just gives the foreigners something to laugh at. I do not have the power – I see my life flash before my eyes jump out of the way of on-coming traffic at least weekly. Maybe it is because the Chinese people are so skinny they are literally as wide as the white lines on the road so the cars can pass freely around them. When I stand on the white line I have to step backwards or forwards in order for the cars to pass. The buses see me and lay on the horn as if I am taking up their whole lane. The math stereotype is taken to new measure on the traffic lights for big intersections. Instead of the rudimentary red green yellow lights they have all digital count downs. The stoplight is literally red flashing numbers counting how long until you can go. 130 second red count down then 60 seconds of green and 10 of yellow. I don’t know which would be worse for sitting at a light the that seems to take all day or staring angrily and the 120seconds that seems to never move. Honestly if they had that in DC it would help me time my commute in which I proudly completed my morning tasks of eating breakfast, drying my hair and doing my makeup. If I knew I had 2 minutes at a stop light, I could have a whole eye done instead of relying on the honking cars around me to know when the light changed. Humm maybe DC isn’t ready for that kind of detail! I have seen way too many people shaving and reading books on my DC commute.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Make yourself at home, but don't touch anything

Not long ago I got this text from my husband, "My sister called, she's at our house. My dad let her in." I was automatically filled with questions; Did you know she was coming? How long is she staying? Did she bring the kids? Is everything ok? His answer, "I didn't know and I don't know." As if that would satisfy my unrest! Now I like my sister in law, Meimei, she is probably my favorite of the in laws. She makes an effort to speak to me directly even though my Chinese is not good enough to keep up with the group conversation. She is kind and playful. Her 2 children are sweet to me and mostly well behaved. I enjoy her visits but cannot understand why she would show up unannounced when it takes at least 4 hours to travel here! And she is a repeat offender. The most intrusive occasion was when my daughter was less than a month old and Meimei called from the bus, announcing she and her 2 small children were on the way. I was st