Skip to main content

Guilin wasps, fire cupping, and crowds


Wasps wars

Our first night with Daniel’s family we are greeted by his dad, proudly holding a plastic bag. I peer inside to see it’s a wasp nest! I immediately yelp and jump back, or course. He in turn laughed and handed the bag to his grandchildren, age 5 and 7. They fearlessly squat down in the kitchen picking the eggs and wasps out of the nest. I can see some of them still flapping their wings and I couldn’t bear to watch the rest! Apparently fried wasps are a delicacy in Guilin and you can sell the wasps for 100 kuai per kg ($15). It is actually delicious! I got pictures! The kids loved it too, like the dad had to keep moving the bowl out of the way.

I asked Daniel how his dad caught them without getting stung and his answer was, “he has the raincoat.” It took me a minute to realize what he meant. I knew his dad has bees too, so he must have meant the bee keeper suit, same thing right? I wouldn’t be surprised if he wore and actual rain coat though, they seem to not need a lot of the equipment I would think was standard.

Later that week I got to see first-hand how you hunt for wasps. I almost died of boredom. We where suposta be on a nature walk exploring the forest, but I ended up watching for hops. Btw hops is also a local delicacy I got to try, not as impressive but still not bad. And another clarification ‘hops’ is the chinglish for grasshoppers, which Daniel fails to see any difference in the terms. So back to the wasp hunting, you catch a grasshopper and put it on a stick to feed it to the wasp. The goal is that the wasp will carry the grasshopper back to the nest. And here is the fun part, we run after the wasp that instantly disappears into the sky.  

So Daniel gets the idea that he should tie a feather on top the wasp so we can see it easier. Here is the example of lack of equipment. Daniel decides he will take a plastic grocery bag, no gloves, no raincoat, just a bag! I told him it was an awful idea but I was out voted. His plan is that he will catch the wasp and put the feather around its head and I can pull the tie, hell no! So the neighbors come out to help as well as his niece and nephew. So I see Daniel run off on his own and I assume he got stung or something. Me and his nephew go after him to see if I can help. When I get close I realize he is still holding the stupid wasp with the feather on it! It seems like his wings are damaged because it won’t fly away when he lets go. So he picks it up and throws it in the air again. And of course it LANDS ON ME! I freaked out! And start jumping around and it falls down my shirt! I’m screaming and shaking it out of my shirt scared to death I’m gonna get stung and die! And then it falls down and lands on my jeans! Instead of helping me Daniel LAUGHS AT ME! He tells me after the fact that he already took out the stinger, but I still don’t care. And I look up the road and his neighbors are laughing too. I was so embarrassed first off that I was screaming like a fool and then probably flashed the whole neighborhood.

I stormed off and marched right back to his house and I couldn’t fight back the tears when the little girl held my hand to walk back with me. I don’t think I will ever get used to the Chinese laughter. They laugh in any uncomfortable situation. I hate being laughed at when I don’t understand what’s going on. Now I love to make people laugh, when I am in on the joke. But it is very different to be laughed at. All week I could only pick up on a word here or there and it was all new customs and I didn’t know how to act. Every time I did anything his family would laugh; anytime I use my Chinese, eat with chopsticks, make a face when I eat something new. I know they are just not used to foreigners. But I still don’t like it.

When Daniel finally came back the kids had told the whole story to his parents so he was getting yelled at from all 5 of us! It made me happy.


Mama sucked my faced

The most blogable moment was when Daniel left me alone to go hunting with his dad. I was stupid and somehow forgot to pack any allergy or headache medicine. So I was dying! I had been fighting a bad headache all morning and by the afternoon it was unbearable. I cuddle up in bed to try to sleep it off, but the kids keep coming in and jumping on the bed or trying to get me to play with them and then the mama would come and shooed them out. One time she came in and saw tears in my eyes because the pain was so bad.

So she comes back in with this plastic machine and asks me to sit up and a bunch of Chinese I didn’t understand. She points it at the center my forehead and I figure it’s some thermometer or something. It had a plastic cup connected to the top and you pull the trigger and it sucks the skin into the cup and then detaches stuck on your face. It pulled so tight that I immediately scrunch my face up and tears just pour out, then she laughs!

It’s the same as fire cupping, like in the new karate kid! Its suposta be Chinese medicine, I’ve had it done on my back before. And they say it is good for you if you are sick, it will suck out the illness or something. Well I don’t like it. And she came back to do a second one too! I didn’t have the language to tell her NO, and I was just overcome with pain. The little boy was the one that finally pushed the release button to take them off. The worst part is that it leaves a dark burse! SO I have a knot in the middle of my forehead. Mama says it should only last 2 days but 4 days later I still look like a freak.

It reminds me of the grey’s anatomy episode where Christina is getting married to Burke and she tells Meredith, “Mama took my eyebrows!” I wanted to text the world, “Mama fire cupped my face!” When Daniel came back he burst out laughing as soon as he looked at me, then silenced quickly as soon as he looked me in the eye, “well did it help?” That’s the worst part, it kinda did! But I don’t think the headache went away, I think I just had a more focused pain.

However, the next day was the weekly market where the whole village goes to exchange their crops and stuff. So me and Daniel go together and I meet all his classmates, neighbors, and family members for the first time with a huge knot on my forehead. He promised me that it was normal in China and everyone would know it was from fire cupping. But his other little niece poked me and asked “what happened” as soon as she saw me… fml

Money hungry buses

The travel part of vacation is always a hassle, but it is a particular annoyance in China. The crowds are just redonk! My first trip to Guilin, this time 2 years ago I took the sleeper bus. The best invention ever! Its bunk-beds on a bus! You crawl into bed in Shenzhen and wake up in Guilin 8 hours later. However for Chinese New Year the sleeper buses sold out so we had to take the train back. It was awful bench seats and just tons of people AND 14 hours to get there and UGH!

So this year I made sure we got the tickets earlier so we would have beds. Daniel went to Guilin early and I rode with my 2 American friends: Heidi and Sarah. So the 3 foreigners travel to this middle of nowhere bus station outside of Shenzhen city center. Like the only white people for miles, crazy sticking out in the massive crowds. We finally get a taxi and he is taking all back roads and we didn’t know where we were or if we were gonna get there on time. So Heidi being the boldest of the group, asks the driver to hurry up. He laughs and looks back at the road. Then Heidi asks again, “why this way not the main road?” and he answers, “there is traffic.” Then he sighs heavy and turns on the main road, 3 minutes later we are completely stopped in bumper to bumper traffic. Like people are getting out of their cars and walking! So the taxi driver turns to Heidi and says, “Traffic!” I couldn’t help but laugh out loud. He totally showed us, don’t tell me how to do my job! This is what he does with his life! Finally he asked us what time our tickets where for and told us, we better get out and walk after he got us as close as he could. Lol

Then we walk into the bus station and it’s a mad house people everywhere and the three of us each hold each other’s backpacks and squeeze through the crowds. After wandering around a bit we literally ran into a security guard. I handed him my ticket and gave him my puppy dog eyes. He instantly started leading us pushing people out of the way until we cleared the whole waiting room in 3 seconds flat. Then there were so many buses and people everywhere. He turned to say something to us in Chinese and I just smiled until he gave up and continued to guide us. He had to ask at least 6 people before we got to the right bus. Turns out this is NOT a sleeper bus but a regular seat bus! They gave us some crap about how the sleeper buses couldn’t get there in time because there was too much traffic! We were super mad because the regular seats are not nearly as comfortable and the regular seats are less expensive. I called Daniel to see if he would yell at somebody for me, but he said it would do no good.

THEN on the way home me and Daniel were riding together and they gave us a regular bus! When I pushed Daniel to yell at the driver and he tells us that sleeper buses are against the law now. If that’s true then why did Heidi and Sarah ride home on a sleeper bus 2 days earlier? And there were literally sleeper buses right beside us. So I get mad that the man is obviously lying to our face! But that was better than his first response when we told them we had tickets for a sleeper bus. He told us, “It’s ok you can sleep here.” NO! No I can’t, actually! There lies the problem. And there is nothing we can do about it. Daniel asked me if I wanted him to pitch a fit and get our money back for the ticket but then we would have no way to make it home. It’s such a trap. Then we get on the bus after I pitch a fit and the stupid bus stops every hour. We had been on the bus 3 hours and I notice we are only 30 minutes down the road. It turns out that we are taking all these country roads and stopping to load food and stuff from the countryside to bring into the city to sell. So they have some greedy money making scheme going on. I think they over sold the tickets for the sleeper bus so they just switched it to regular seats so they could fit everyone and made us all cram our stuff into the overhead bins so they could have more space under the bus for all their business items. I’m on to you, buddy! A lot of good it will do me though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.