Skip to main content

Teaching the old people


So the day after I moved into my apartment my school said we would have an important meeting with the Shenzhen Education Bureau the next morning and be ready by 8am. They had mentioned something about some important people from the government coming to evaluate our school and they would want to meet us, so I assumed this is what that was about. The night before I had come home late to find my AC was broken. It was too late to call anyone so I suffered through the night, but it was BAD! There is no kind of heat like Shenzhen heat. Everyone says its Florida weather because it’s about the same distance from the equator, it’s not true. Shenzhen heat is like walking beside a fire breathing dragon. The second you step out from under a shady tree it is literally DOUBLE the heat. I can feel the sun cooking my skin. In DC they say it feels as hot as Florida because the humidity is so high, well I kind you know there are days in Shenzhen with 100% humidity. I always thought 100% humidity would be the same as rain, wrong! You walk outside and your whole body is damp, not even from sweat yet, this is just the humidity! They you walk down the 6 flights of stairs and you start sweating too. There are just TOO many people and not enough airflow. You stand in line and people are just touching you on all sides, but luckily you are all wet and sweaty so it doesn’t matter. I am talking get home and you have sweated through ALL layers of clothes, 3 showers a day and yours still sweating, hot. SO yes Shenzhen is hot and no AC is not an option, but I suffered through somehow.

The good part of this story is I had no problem waking up in the morning because I was up every hour praying it was time to meet them so I could get into the AC! I finally got up and showered and everything and went down to the office early to see if someone could help me with my AC. My teacher made a few calls and said she would check on it later because the government people would be there any minute. After waiting around almost an hour no one had showed up. Finally Melissa, my teacher, decides maybe we have time to check the AC after all. And don’t you know the second we get to my apartment she gets a call that the people have arrived and are waiting for me! Of course! So I leave my keys with her and I run back down to the office. I wasn’t there to see how she magically fixed it, because I had climbed on furniture to get to it, pushed every button, swore and hit it with a broom all without any luck! Shocking

SO back at the office these two young representatives from the education bureau hand us this lesson plan booklet and our teaching schedules, with the advice that the old people are very slow and we will need to be very patient with them. So without any discussion I had somehow agreed to co-teach a community group of “the old people” with one of the other foreign teachers. And someday the mayor of Shenzhen was going to come and observe the class to see if the city was following the government order that all communities should be learning English. The only question asked was, so which one of you will do the first class this afternoon? Like today? Ok fine! So next thing I know they are walking us over to the community center were we will have classes. I don’t know how such little Chinese people with shorter legs than me can walk to so fast! But I get there to out of breath to voice any objections and that settles it. So now until further notice I teach the old people twice a week. Oh china!

It turns out my class is about 20 women that look to be about in their 60s and 2 men about the same age. They speak NO English, which is a big change from my advanced High schoolers. However, they are happy as can be to repeat the same sentence for a full hour! I keep wanted to add more but they will stay repeating over and over to slow me down. I teach for an hour and a half so 45mins in I tried to give them a break and they weren’t having it, they just stared at me in silence until I gave up on the idea and started teaching again! Their favorite thing to do is once I give them a sample conversation and we read it aloud 100 times they pair up and practice with each other. Then I come around and ask them to read for me one at a time. This is where I really get to see their personalities.

I have one woman who gets so shy and will hide from me every time I come over to her. She will see me 4 people over and I will smile and she giggles and hides her face like a school girl! So cute! She will just now read for me after working together for a few weeks but she will talk so quietly I can barely hear her. And she still can’t make eye contact for more than a second before shying away.

Another woman is so eager to learn she will always grab me when I am a few people away and want me to skip over to help her, then I will go back where I was and she will do the same thing! Once it is her turn to work with me she always wants to hold my arm so no one else can get my attention. She tries so hard, but I can tell its very difficult for her. One day when she read the whole convo perfectly I was so excited I clapped! And she gave me the pucker lips! As if to say, “come on I’m always this good?!” I like the attitude!

My other favorite likes to correct everyone around her. When I say show how to pronounce something and they repeat it, she jumps in and says, “no like this!” but still says in exactly like before that I was trying to correct. The word was healthy, which is just cruel because the “th” and the “L” at the end of the word are both really hard for Chinese speakers. So I tell them to watch my tongue and do the same thing. So then she was over doing it, playing teacher and spit all over the table! So I told her she had to hold her hand over her mouth when she did it from now on! Later, she asked me in Chinese if I had any children, and once I figured out what she meant I thought for a minute how to explain in English she would understand. So I repeated the question in English and made my best pouty face, shook my head and pointed to my ring figure, “no husband!” I shook my head again making the baby gesture, “so, no baby! Only me!” they all laughed and my little teacher repeated, “no husband no baby! Haha” then she took off her ring and held it out as if to give to me, “yes? haha!”

I will see my ladies on the street sometimes and I always try to say hello. They get so excited! “Laoshi! Uhhhh hello, hello, how are you?” The other day one lady shared her umbrella with me all the way to the store even though I tried to refuse. It is hard to explain in simple English that American’s only use the umbrella in the rain. At the supermarket today I ran into one of my ladies with her friend and she grabbed my arm and yammered away at me in Chinese dragging me around the aisle. Finally when I had lost all context to guess her meaning I answered, “wo ting bu dong, I don’t understand!” Apparently that was the end of the tour, she quickly replied, “OK bye-bye!” and scurried away! Its nice to have that connection with the older people in the community. For the most part it is only people my age or younger that seem to reach out to foreigners. I always got the feeling that only people didn’t see the value in foreigners and were still holding on to the past when foreigners were not allowed in china. Now I think it is more that they are just not as comfortable or confident around foreigners as the younger generation. It’s hard for me to imagine that 50 years ago no foreigners were allowed inside of china. So growing up in those times would have been a lot different than my high school students, who have had a foreign teacher every year since kindergarten!

As much as I enjoy teaching my older students, I would like it a lot better if I were getting paid! My co-teacher has been a lot more active than me about trying to figure out if, when, and how we will get paid. So fair after much drama the answer seems to be YES… to all 3 questions. Oh China!
new update, I'm now a celebrity! check out my 1 minute of fame!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.