Skip to main content

The White Man's God

One of my friends told me the story of a Christian missionary in Africa. On his first day he invited the whole village into the church. He told them the gospel and warned that anyone who did not repent and turn from their sins would suffer eternity in hell. The next week only half the people came to hear the massage. The missionary was shocked by the low attendance and decided to show them pictures and videos to explain how serious he was and how awful hell really is. To his surprise the next no one attended his service! When he went to the villagers and asked why, they replied that hell was only for white men, so it didn't apply to them. Because all the pictures he showed of Hell only had white people.
My friend added at the end of the story, that as an Asian he feels the same way. Many people see missionaries as an extension of the western aggression, trying to make the eastern world more like the west. It was shocking for me to hear this, but I can see the misconception. It’s a dangerous idea either way. Even my boyfriend told me when I first bought him to church that he the reason he wanted to come was to learn American culture. This particularly worries me, because it makes it seems that Jesus only dies for me or people like me. But think about where that idea comes from. How often do Christians act that they are superior and pass judgment workout admitting they own sin? And even in Israel the Church of Nativity has a white baby doll in the manger, although we know that Jesus would have been of Middle Eastern descent. Think of all the Christian artwork with a blond-haired blue-eyed Jesus. We want to think that Jesus looks like us, because it makes it easier for us to understand him as our brother with God the father. But how do we combat that image when sharing our faith?
I am also disheartened by the thought that American culture is seen as Christian culture. Not because I don't believe that America’s founding fathers were Christians, but because I think our country today is not a good representation of Christian values. Imagine how people must view our Christian values in the context of American movies, rap and pop music, celebrity gossip, politics, and school shootings.
I regret I have mostly concerns and few answers. But for me, I vow to do my best to oppose these views and not allow myself to be conformed to them. I remember during the sniper attacks when I was in high school, I told myself I refuse to be afraid. I refuse to be changed. And as a Christian and as an American, I refuse to be the person people assume me to be. If we don't like the negative stereotypes, the only thing we can do is create new ones to replace the old.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No room at the inn: Shanghai edition

About a year ago my husband and I decided to take a babymoon to Hangzhou and Shanghai. Yes, babymoon is a real thing where expecting couples take one last vacation together before the baby comes. Genius idea that I wish I could take credit for. I was bummed because I was too pregnant to fly back to the US like I had planned but figured a 3 hour flight to Shanghai was safer than an 18 hour flight the DC! Surprisingly, after 7 years living in China I had still never been to 2 of the major tourist attractions, West Lake or the Shanghai Bund. We decided to spend a few days in each city and take a bus between the two.   West Lake was beautiful but the main attraction of walking around the beautiful scenery in the heat and rain was not a good match for my wobbling state; especially with my pregnant bladder and distance and numerous stairs between each public bathroom. We arrived in Shanghai after what seemed like forever on the bumpy bus and I was so glad to be back in a major city. We

10 Things China made me love about America

These things may not make the thanksgiving list of the average American, but they are definitely on my lips every time I come home for a visit.   The things I comment on missing seem to be strange to my friends and family, who then roll their eyes at yet another story beginning with, "where I live in China..." Nevertheless here are some simple joys my life in China has made me love in my homeland. 1.   Hot sink water Washing your hands in cold water during the winter makes the surprise of warm tap water all the more delightful. This comfort would be seen as a wasteful luxury in China where most homes have only one water heater for the shower and even that is only turned on 10 minutes before you hop in the shower, and then switched off immediately after. 2.   Outside air I have noticed the difference in air quality moving around the US between city and country, but even the big city air seems glorious compared to China. Not to say that all of China has the pollut

Why China?

Everyone always asks me, "What made you what to go to China?" And I always answer that I had a friend that did the same program and she talked me into it. (sorry Boom-Boom). And when else can you take a year off from your life? Its truly a once in a life-time opportunity. But the truth is I needed a change, I felt like I was in a dead end job, spending more than I was making each month, barley speaking to my roommates, and burnt out at church. I spent four years working towards an economics degree because it came easy to me and then 3 years learning that numbers on a computer screen make me crazy! I won't to do something I have a passion for, and I am hoping that teaching will be my passion. My life needs a complex overhaul in order for me to make a change. I got so comfortable in the dual work that I was afraid to go into the unknown. I remember all my dreams in college and my fearlessness, it scares me that my ambition is fading. My life needs adventure and challenges.